V for Vendetta (8.5/10)
3 April 2006
Tagline: A shadowy freedom fighter known only as V uses terrorist tactics to fight against his totalitarian society. Upon rescuing a girl from the secret police, he also finds his best chance at having an ally.
To be honest, I had no intentions of seeing this film, I thought it was just one of those crash-boom-bang films. The reason I went to see it anyway was it’s rave reviews. Maybe there was something anyway.
Here are 5 reasons why you might want to see it:
- The screenplay is written by the writers of the Matrix trilogy. And the story is much more interesting and intelligent than you might think at first, or than I thought at first. It’s actually an excellent story, and it makes you think about things, a lot.
- The film shows a future version of the UK. Call it science fiction, but it’s maybe not that far away from how things could develop. Not only in the UK, but in the world.
- The film is partly filmed in London, and is also about London.
- They blow up the Houses of Parliament and the Big Ben, which is a pretty impressive scene to watch.
- It has Ben Miles in it. Why I like him ? I saw him live on stage in Richard II with Kevin Spacey, and he is a great actor (Ben Miles that is, and Kevin too of course).
Directed by James McTeigue
Cast Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving, Stephen Rea, Stephen Fry, John Hurt, Ben Miles
See it ? See it ! (8.5/10)