Page Street, Westminster
Or 5 weeks in London, a wrapup.
Believe it or not (I am not even sure I do yet) but I have managed to open a bank account here in the UK. Wowee for that!
And if everything goes as planned, I have my bank card 5 working days from now, and I will be able to pay in shops, get money from moneymachines without having to pay enormous amounts on fees to danish banks for using creditcards to pickup UK money and well, life in London just got a whole lot easier. My check with my salary can finally be cashed, and things will be getting more normal on the economic level.
I can also finally become a member of Cineworld and eat as much films as I like for the price of one and a half cinematicket per month (they are going to lose money on me). And finally the theatre plays I want to see – I can’t wait !
Just to list what I needed to get a bankaccount over here:
- a huge amount of patience and determination (and I mean HUGE !)
- a very helpful lady in the UK bank who treated me as a human being in stead of just another annoying foreigner who wants to open a UK account
- a copy of my passport
- a salaryslip
- a jobcontract
- a letter of recommendation from my Danish Bank
- 1 loooong phonecall and 2 personal visits to the bank
- a very helpful lady in my Danish bank, who was willing to send me 3 months of account statements with my english address on it (this was the thing that got me accepted in the end)
- a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy to make me laugh again after I got rejected again and again, or send back home to get even more papers and proof of me being me
And the bank ? Well it is the HSBC bank.
What that stands for ? Easy : Hitchhikers and Spacetravellers Banking Center.
Luckily they have a branch at Alpha Centauri which is just around the corner from where I live. And they have a website too. (a real boring banky one)
Of course they took me as a customer there, I am, after all, just a cosmic girl.
The somewhat weird picture in this post – well that’s where I live.
Game of checkers anyone?