There are only seven days until my departure to the USA, so a good time today to do any last minute holiday shopping on Amazon.
I ordered the following neccesary items:
- SanDisk 4GB SDHC Secure Digital Card. Something tells me that I am going to take a lot of photos, and with both an 8MP and a 10MP camera, the file size of the photos will be large. I don’t want to take the risk of running out of cards, so I ordered another 4GB. Just to be on the safe side.
- Lowepro Apex 20AW Digital Camera Pouch – Arctic Blue. A small more protective pouch for my Panasonic DMC-TZ4 pocket camera. Somehow I managed to get this for £7.49 from Amazon including postage, but it doesn’t show up for that price anymore now. I guess I was lucky!
- A cute luggage tag and a lock. Yes ok they have hearts on them. But I liked them, and they will make my suitcase even more recognizable when it arrives at LAX airport.
- Noise Cancelling Foldable Headphones
It is going to be a long flight from London to LA, estimated flying time is 11 hrs 5 min, distance: 8758 km / 5442 miles. Wow!
I have done a long flight like this before, from Beijing to London so I kind of know what to expect, but it is a long time. Good thing that BA has entertainment on demand in their aircrafts. And just to be able to hear the movies properly or listening to the onboard radio, and to keep some of the airplane noise out of my ears – noise cancelling headphones seemed handy.
BA has taken The Boat That Rocked from their schedule again though, which is hugely disappoiinting. But they do show a Bill film: Notes on a Scandal, and they show other favourites like The Proposal. And there are actually some films on the list that I haven’t seen: The Knowing and The Hangover for example. I think time will fly. Literally.
- The Boat That Rocked [DVD] . Yes what can I say, if BA doesn’t want to show it, I have to buy the DVD. For the extra material alone. Please, please let there be more material showing Bill Nighy dancing on Rolling Stones music.
I will now make a map of the locations of my hotels, and the things I would like to see. And write a long list of things I want to do, and plot them on the map too.
I bought two guides: Los Angeles (DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide) for LA, and San Francisco and Northern California (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide).
So I am already having a lot of fun finding out what to do and see in both places.
Of course I am also keeping a close eye on the wild fires in the California, and especially Los Angeles but it looks like things are getting under control. Which is good for the people who live there, but also for me as a visitor.
If there is anything I absolutely should not forget to bring with me, let me know!
7 thoughts to “USA Holiday preparation”
It seems everyone is going to the States at the moment. A couple of friends are there and another couple left today. Maybe we should go too…
Nice lock. Is it TSA approved? Otherwise you’ll might end up with a broken (heart) lock.
I think you’ve got all bases covered, so there’s only one thing left to do: go to the airport and catch your plane.
It is relatively cheap for us UK citizens at the moment with the dollar exchange rate being $1,63 for a £.
I have another lock that is indeed TSA approved, as you say, I don’t want to break my heart :)
consider buying a buying a so called imagetank. you can transfer your photos to it and empty your card. we have one from vosonic :-)
if anything goes wrong with your memorycard you still have your photos!
Enjoy the whale watch! I hope you get some great photos to share. Get a taste of the sea here:
I posted yesterday about possibly taking a portable hardrive for you pix, but it doesn’t seem to be here! I took a PhotoBank by CBA Digital when I went to Venice and it worked very well. You can’t see the photos on it but it’s a lot cheaper than some of those that store and view pix.
I’m so glad you’re headed this way. Don’t forget to be in touch — I’d love to have lunch at the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco, or maybe in the Mission! (I’m in the city on Mondays and Wednesdays — but you could also come over to Berkeley!!!) xoxoxox
Hi Lily, I’ll email you I’d love to have lunch with you! :)