Skip to main content
- It’s amazing. We were 7 people, all around my age (17) and we were all so nervous for this exam, it was like being back at high school again. We all passed. I am relieved, because it was tougher than I thought, it was all new for me and it is all so different from what I used to work with.
- The trainer I had for this course could be a brother of Michael Caine. He looked a lot like him, and his accent was rather, ehrm, voicilicious.
- Just shortly on the explosives: they are small round flat circles that you put on the rail. They make a sound when the train drives over them and this alerts the driver that there is trouble ahead on the line and it will make him stop the train.
- And about my electricity adventure: when I was young (13 is my guess) I was trying to be handy. I was opening and messing about with a screw driver and a power outlet/strip, while it was still connected. I got a major shock, my arm was numb for quite a while and I never ever forget it. I like to think that my mind got messed up by it, which is very useful if you want to be a writer.
- Power on train lines: on the over rail lines (the ones above your head) : 25.000 volts. (never ever touch them). And on the 3rd rail that is an unprotected rail just running along normal rails on lots of places: 750 volts. This does cause a lot of accidents, especially when outsiders get onto the rail (kids playing or graffiti sprayers). I was quite surprised to hear that those rails are this dangerous. And I was wondering if we have the same system in the Netherlands and in Denmark. Just never ever step on or touch rails in the UK is what I’ve learned.
- Germany has banned the makers of Tom Cruise’s new movie from filming at military sites in the country because the actor is a Scientologist.. Weird story. Bill Nighy is in Valkyrie as well.
- I was walking around in Canary Wharf this afternoon and they were showing Henman’s amazing tennis match on a big screen outside on one of the sky scrapers. Funny to watch all the suits watching it. And I am happy for Henman.
- I promise not to write about trains tomorrow.
- I found out: Papa Oscar Tango Charlie: One Zero times. Because I just returned from the One Zero time. I felt I deserved some Bravo India Lima Lima after passing my exam.